Wire Size Differences

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:22:17 -0400

Gordon,
         Is there any reason you feel the need to duplicate exactly what
was there originally? I would suggest obtaining the services of someone
competent enough to do a rescale for you. Chances are this piano can be
made to sound much better than it was originally. As long as you're at it
you might make a new bridge too and really make it sing!

Greg Newell

At 10:16 AM 7/10/2002, you wrote:
>List.  I'm re-stringing a 1936 Starr Grand and in checking the wire
>sizes in the tenor and treble sections I first used a music wire
>gauge, purchased from Schaff, and then took readings with a
>micrometer.  With the wire gauge, which doesn't measure half sizes, I
>get sizes such as 21, 19, 18, 17, etc.  When using the micrometer
>those same wire sizes read .046 which would be a 20 1/2 wire size,
>.042 which is an 18 1/2, .040 which is 17 1/2 wire size, and .037
>which is a 16 wire size.  OK you get the idea.
>I did read some time back that the wire sizes in an older piano, such
>as this, are going to stetch over time and not give accurate
>measurements when one is going to re-string.  Should I stick with the
>wire sizes as taken with the wire gauge which will be full sizes and
>no half sizes, or punt?.
>I would appreciate some discourse on this subject again.  Thanks in
>advance to all.  BTW this is my first attempt at trying to make "Old
>Grand" look new.  Hammers, shanks, strings, pins, felt, cloth, paint
>job on plate, some lip stick, pearls and black boots,  etc., etc.
>And yes, I know I won't make any profit on this when I sell it,
>probably give it to one of our kids, but it's all a part of my
>training and I'm having a lot of fun doing it..   Thanks again,
>Gordon Holley, Goshen, Indiana.

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net