One-man piano move?

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:46:11 -0500

Mark,

I attended a reading by Mr. Carhart earlier this year, at our local independent bookstore.  He read several passages, including the one about the piano mover.  In response to the inevitable questions, he swore to the truth and accuracy of his description of the move.  Still seems hard to believe.

When I was still a kid living with my parents, they sold an old refrigerator that was in our basement.  Question: how many college students does it take to move a refrigerator out of a basement?  Answer: 4.   3 to tie it onto the big guy's back and watch him stagger towards the stairs.  We never found out if he was strong enough, because Dad wouldn't let him try.  He sent them away; they came back later with a mover's hand truck and took it out the conventional way.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Wisner <MWisner@yamaha.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 11:38 AM
Subject: One-man piano move?

In the book The Piano Shop on the Left Bank by T E Carhart, the author describes a "baby" grand being moved up a flight of stairs and into his Paris apartment by a piano mover who strapped the piano across his back, with the curve resting on his shoulder.  I'd have dismissed this passage as the meanderings of a clouded and uninformed mind if the author wasn't so accurate in virtually every other technical aspect of the piano.  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Mark Wisner
Yamaha Corporation
mwisner@yamaha.com