Wound trichords in a spinet??? Does an ETD help?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 06:52:11 -0400

The subject here was tuning poorly matched unisons. As I stated, I always tune unisons by ear. It is not the method of tuning that makes one string longer/heavier than the other. The strings are physically mismatched, and will not sound good to me. That was the subject of the small excerpt below.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Moffatt & Sons Piano" <moffattr@CADVISION.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 1:20 AM
Subject: Re: Wound trichords in a spinet??? Does an ETD help?

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 4:44 AM

   But on a nicer piano where the customer CAN play - I want to say something about the false beats and badly matched bass unisons - something like: "Hey dude, I just wanted to point out that your piano is the pits, and these nasty noises coming out of it are NOT MY FAULT!" But somehow that just does not seem right. Any bright ideas on how to handle that?

  Terry Farrell

Yes. Tune aurally. What sounds good to you, will usually sound great to the client.With out opening up that "old, worn out can of worms", it seems you are having to
justify the work you have just done by condeming the tool (piano) your client probably has a lot of faith in........all the while, the client is staring at a little box, with spinning lights wondering....well.. "I'm listening".... He/She seems to be "watching". Whose right? ..................It is much easier to say..even show..how you listen to their pride and joy,  rather than blame their little pet. Then, when they say....."but these noises I'm hearing, and you know it truly is a bunch of "nasty noises"....I am sure the task will be much easier, and most likely.......more profitable and satisfying.

IMyadayada.

Bob

Moffatt & Sons Piano Atelier
Calgary, Alberta - Canada