hammer repair/leather/Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:17:00 -0400

Hey...how'd I get my name in the subject line now....?

Joe wrote:
>You can get leather that is acceptable to use on hammers.

Fortepiano builders describe the situation as "using the least unsuitable
product".

>Your statement:
>"...you can't get the proper hammer leather now, and what you can get
>probably will start flapping about after a bit of playing....", is
>essentially incorrect.

Well most experienced fortepiano builders (and fortepianists who do their
own work) will tell you this is perhaps the single biggest problem in
working with modern materials.

>I have been doing this procedure for many years and I
>have yet to have the leather "flapping about after a bit of playing". It
>takes time and skill to do it right, but not a high level of skill.

I think the meaning of my "flapping about" here is being misinterpreted - I
don't mean that literally. I mean sufficiently loose to have an undesirable
acoustic effect, which doesn't take very much at all, and certainly not
enuf to be visible. It is something that develops with playing, often
within days. Some leathers are better than others (hence it is possible to
find the least unsuitable material) but all modern leathers will eventually
stretch, because of the way they are made. The slightest degree of
looseness will translate to poor tone, a problem that happens on
fortepianos - I'm talking about hammers that are built up with multiple
layers of leather. I don't doubt that an acceptable repair covering to a
modern hammer can be made with carefully selected modern leathers, but I
would question why is should be necessary to apologize to the customer and
describe it as a temporary fix? (Possibly because only specific hammers are
treated this way and stand out from their neighbours). Felt hammers,
covered with the proper kind of hammer leather, should be perfectly good
tonally and extremely durable - exactly as described by Keutzig. There's no
reason not to use hammers of this kind on modern pianos - except for the
lack of suitable leather.....

>As for the proper leather, I would say contact the gentleman who
>advertises in the
>back of the journal, (I can't recall his name/company at the moment...it's
>late). He can most certainly provide you with the proper leather. If not
>then try Fletcher & Newman in England or Renner/Germany.

As I said last time, hammer covering leather is, and always was, a highly
specialized, targetted product, even in the 19th century. It was made in
small quantities, following a lengthy, specialized process (combination
tanning - oil and vegetable, followed by mechanical treatment), to achieve
the required properties: high compressive elasticity, rapid mechanical
memory, high shear strength, high Young's modulus, resilient, and soft.
(These properties tend to be mutually incompatible under normal leather
making processes.). Modern leather is nothing like the old hammer leather
because modern leather is not made according to the old recipes. Obviously
if you want to use leather you have to find the closest modern stuff, and
that is what fortepiano builders do too. But it is not the same as the
proper leather as it was when piano builders still used it on hammers.

I have a current project on the go to replicate the old process  - if it
turns out well I would provide some samples if anyone is interested.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228