Baldwin

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:32:23 -0700

Ed,

I had one piano in a room with 12, that was consistantly sharp and and out of tune every three months.  I finally started checking around the piano and found the parquet was coming loose in the corner where the piano was.  In the custodian's closet next door, a drain was overflowing and the water would come through the wall into this room at that corner.  Once that was dealt with, problem solved...

David I.

From: Ed Carwithen <edwithen@oregontrail.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Baldwin

I need someone to explain to me how a piano can be sharp time after time.  I can easily understand how a piano would go flat.  But to be sharp 4 times in a row has me wondering.  I do this one every 6 months.  In 4 yrs it has never been flat when I arrived.  It isn't a particularly good piano.  Baldwin, bit taller than a spinet not quite a console.  Pins are firm enough, but twist badly.  Pitch can change drastically before you can feel any movement of the pin in the block.  And the tone is muddy.  Lots of "whiskers" around the tone.  In other words, not my favorite piano.  But how can it be sharp all the time??????

Ed Carwithen
John Day, OR