Rusty and dull bass strings

Claudia Cimenti claudia_cimenti@mail.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:24:06 -0700

Hello List,

What does an aspiring tech do who has nothing to lose? Experiment!!

My old "guinea pig" upright has dead bass strings. Totally rusted. When you
play them they just go "duh!"... I tried the "twist 'em" technique, but it
did not help much.

So tonight I took a bass string off and cleaned in CLR (yep, the "Calcium /
Lime / Rust" cleaner you can get at stores such as Walgreens). The outcome?
A shiny brand-new looking string that goes "roaaaaaaarrrr!".

On top of all that, I'm getting restringing experience. I'm happy.

I realize that this is a time-consuming thing, since you have to remove the
strings, but in a pinch, it beats buying new bass strings if you don't want
to invest lots of $$ into an old piano. Or if like me, you're learning.

... just wanted to share.

Regards,
/Claudia

-----