hearing protection

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:54:27 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

For more information, search the archives for "tinnitus" or "high pitch
ring" and similar things. I found some useful posts there. I had a
temporary case of tinnitus which I think resulted from alergy season
beginning. It made it hard to diagnose some "pings" in a piano, because
high pitched sounds were exaggerated. It scared me into getting ear plugs.
I find I can tune better with ear plugs, because I can hit the notes
harder without being bothered by the noise, and I produce more solid
unisons.

As a kid, I used to buy band stuff in those guitar stores. I felt like
such an old-fogie coming back in there recently to buy ear plugs! As if I
was like, "Those damn kids play their rock and roll music too loud!"
Actually, they didn't seem to think I was out of place, and one employee
proceeded to tell me about some "trip" she was just coming off of. I guess
that's a compliment. Clearly they didn't think I was a narc. I used to
know everything about every keyboard on the market. Now they all look the
same and sound like cheap pianos, but louder.

Charles