Lighter or Heavier ?

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:25:43 EDT

In a message dated 7/12/2002 4:20:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,=20
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

> Subj:Re: Lighter or Heavier ?=20
> Date:7/12/2002 4:20:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF=3D"mailto:Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no">Richard.Brekne@grieg.u=
ib.no</A>
> To:<A HREF=3D"mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet=20
>=20
>         Hey Ric

       I followed this only briefly. Bussssy week. Oh my goodness! Any way=20
There is an experience I've had a few times with some actions where the key=20
ratios and action ratios were really good. Without getting into many=20
measurements just let me say that the effect was that even though static dow=
n=20
weights approached 60 down on my Symphony Stwy D (1940) and the upweights=20
were a nice snappy 28-30. No one has ever complained about the touch as bein=
g=20
heavy.=20
   John O' Connor played it a time or two as well as others. and never a=20
complaint about the touch being heavy.  Seems to handle rapid passage work=20
effortlessly. It has some lead closer to the balance rail as it's a=20
accelerated action.     =20
     I've also learned  from installing new key sets with corrected key=20
ratios that less lead is used and similar results are attained. I believe =20
some lead is required  to give the piansit some semblance of  a "the normal=20
feel" related to inertia and that some inertia IMO is desirable in a piano=20
action. Physics says were going to have some like it or not but is better=20
managed with efficient leverages.  When some of these systems are right it's=
=20
like a supercharged V-8.
  My point is that the down weight upweight discussion takes on an entirely=20
different parameters when things are set up right as opposed to the funky ke=
y=20
and action geometry we deal with day in and out. Bottom line is that some=20
action.key systems static weights may seem high ( 60 over 30 ) but the=20
dynamic effect when the keys are in motion tells an entirely different and=20
pleasant story.
  Does that make sense to any one but me?