Affleck Piano Tuning?(and Yamaha PT100/Verituner)

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:15:08 -0700

    As Usual, while I was busy writing my previous attempt at wittiness, =
Bill was getting down to the real business of what we do. I too would =
Highly recommend that if someone wants to learn to tune, he or she had =
better have some idea of how to do it aurally. (That's with your ears) =20
    The Yamaha tuners are designed for (as far as I can tell) low =
inharmonicity pianos. (Inharmonicity, now there's a four dollar word.)  =
When inexperienced tuners use these on inappropriate, high inharmonicity =
instruments, the tunings go to HELL!=20
    But how would you know, if you don't have ear training. That's the =
real point. For years, there has been the argument between those who =
tune aurally, and those who use a machine. If you know how to tune a =
pianer good, then you can use a quality machine that does more than the =
Yamaha tuner, to achieve what you're trying to do almost effortlessly. =
(Or at least, with less checking). The problem is that there is no quick =
shortcut to getting there; it takes a lot of dedication and hard work. A =
machine, if it's a high-level one like the Accu-tuner or Verituner, can =
help you on your way, but you have to always stay awake and think ( and =
listen for the errors that you will predictably find in certain regions =
in the piano.) Once you know how to tune, then you can alter your =
tunings for your Style of tuning.=20

    The only reason ETD's have gotten a bad rep, is that too many =
uninformed tuners have put way too much faith in them. And I'm sick and =
tired of people dissing someone who could tune a piano as well as anyone =
else for using an Etd IF, and that a big IF, they know what they're =
doing.=20

    Instead, I find way too many tuners who, instead of using the =
machine the way it was meant to be used, just coming in and " Stopping =
the lights", not having a clue as to how to do it, and not having a =
sense of what a good tuning should sound. For them, it's a crutch, they =
can't tune without it. These are usually the people who don't know how =
to fix a sticking note also.=20
    To them, I would say; "Being good means being involved and =
interested in what you do for a living, and caring about it."=20

    If this has been a bit of a tirade, Forgive me. I had my car broken =
into at work today, and although they were shooed away before anything =
was taken ( For which I am thankful, Lord) it still made me mad, and a =
half hour later I got word that my Mother had been taken to the =
hospital.  Not a good day for me, so take my posting with a large grain =
of salt.  Don't feel sorry for me, though, I don't want any words of =
sympathy; I just wish I could have shot the bastards that did it. And =
believe me, I wouldn't hesitate. ( My Mom's fine, Thank God.) (For all =
you Liberals, pass the ammunition, that's right, that's how it's =
spelled.(Ammunition, that is)).

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20