Lighter or Heavier ?

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 08:23:32 -0400

I there was a "theme" to this year's convention IMHO, it was diagnosing key
ratios. Between Stanwood's all-day class and Richard Davenport's "What if",
incorrect key ratios have to be dealt with during our rebuilding procedures,
or our problems will continue.
The common plan of attack for a number of years has always been to add lead
when the key weight is too extreme (high). Even though we get the DW down
... something always hinted that we were treating the symptoms and not the
disease.
Incorrect key ratio creates a vicious cycle that affects everything. We have
to learn to understand and correct these problems and make them a normal
part of the rebuilding procedure.
Tom Servinksy,RPT

 : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 10:26 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Lighter or Heavier ?

  In a message dated 7/12/2002 4:20:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

    Subj:Re: Lighter or Heavier ?
    Date:7/12/2002 4:20:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    From:Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet

            Hey Ric

         I followed this only briefly. Bussssy week. Oh my goodness! Any way
There is an experience I've had a few times with some actions where the key
ratios and action ratios were really good. Without getting into many
measurements just let me say that the effect was that even though static
down weights approached 60 down on my Symphony Stwy D (1940) and the
upweights were a nice snappy 28-30. No one has ever complained about the
touch as being heavy.
     John O' Connor played it a time or two as well as others. and never a
complaint about the touch being heavy.  Seems to handle rapid passage work
effortlessly. It has some lead closer to the balance rail as it's a
accelerated action.
       I've also learned  from installing new key sets with corrected key
ratios that less lead is used and similar results are attained. I believe
some lead is required  to give the piansit some semblance of  a "the normal
feel" related to inertia and that some inertia IMO is desirable in a piano
action. Physics says were going to have some like it or not but is better
managed with efficient leverages.  When some of these systems are right it's
like a supercharged V-8.
    My point is that the down weight upweight discussion takes on an
entirely different parameters when things are set up right as opposed to the
funky key and action geometry we deal with day in and out. Bottom line is
that some action.key systems static weights may seem high ( 60 over 30 ) but
the dynamic effect when the keys are in motion tells an entirely different
and pleasant story.
    Does that make sense to any one but me?

    Thanks again Ed and Dave... and Stéphane for your interest

    Seems like we have two ideas about how inertia levels affect
    the touch of the piano. On the one hand we've said several
    times the the higher the inertia the slower the action
    repetition... and this has been equated loosely with terms
    like sluggishness and then from this perspective, heaviness.
    Then on the other hand a bit more lead is said to perhaps
    lead to a lighter "feel" due to the help inertia lends ones
    the key is in motion.

    Interesting and to some degree conflicting lines of
    thinking. All and all it leads one to think that Stanwood
    ideas are fine.... a great refinement in relation to simple
    DW/UW measurements.. but perhaps should be refined further
    to somehow put a number on inertia .... inertia zones
    perhaps.

    I agree tho in the answers you two kindly voluntered that
    DW/UW has a direct relationship to "touch" or "feel", yet
    that these are also affected by other relationships.

    Thanks again... would have liked to heard from others...
    but. :)

    Cheers
    RicB