Workshop Gallery link change

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 10:18:10 -0400

In a message dated Fri, 12 Jul 2002 8:20:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, RCzekay@AOL.COM writes:

> In a message dated 7/12/02 12:36:05 PM Central Daylight Time, claudia_cimenti@mail.com writes:
>

> http://webpages.charter.net/cimenti/workshop
>

> Hi, I admire your efforts to promote pin block boring. But, what is wrong with the old fashioned way. Fit the block to the plate, and bore all of the screw holes, insert screws, and then with a center punch, mark all of the pin holes. Remove block, and transfer to a good drill press with a 750 RPM setting, with a backing as long as the block, and set at a 5 or 7 degree reverse angle. Much easier, cheaper, and just as accurate than building a complex apparatus to sit on the piano, which in most cases would probably gouge the case.
>
> Just my thoughts on it. I have done dozens of grand pin block replacements using this method, and none has ever failed.
>
> Roy Czekay,
>
> Milwaukee, WI,
>
> Not a registered technician, but have been rebuilding
> pianos for over 30 years.

Roy, there is absolutely nothing wrong with drilling pinblocks your way, though I do like to customize the angle of the pin to the piano and not go with a standard 5 or 7 degree angle.

As for cost I think it is comparable to your method and I find my method much easier than pulling the plate another time which by the way has more risk for damaging the piano. The "in the piano" method does not require a complex apparatus, it is much simpler than it sounds or looks and I have drilled literally hundreds of pinblocks without damaging a single piano.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
214-549-3872
DFW