Lighter or Heavier ?

Sat, 13 Jul 2002 23:52:33 +0200

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM wrote:

> nt
>      I moved the capstans 3/8 of an inch to try to
> overcome the key leverage and match the only  choice of
> shank and wippen for this odd beast available
>
>    It will work but I've never moved capstans that far.
> Wow!

Hi Dale... On my first run through with Stanwood I found I
had to move the cap and heel almost 10 mm forward because of
a similiar problem. Combined with hammers that were about
0.5 grams lighter across the board this made for a huge
difference.

I did end up with the black keys 12 mm over the whites, and
a full 10mm dip to do the job of getting the hammer up to
the strings with ok aftertouch tho. If I had to do that one
over I would have been just a tad more conservative in the
cap and heel move me thinks.

Leads were at what is my standard for the time being... a
straight read off of Stanwoods number 3 chart of key lead
maximums.

I had never moved capstans before at all and it took me at
least a week to decide to go for the gusto :)

Worked out great tho. The owner just loved the piano. And it
did play well. Come to think of it this instrument ended up
with leverage levels perhaps a bit in excess of what was
actually needed. And as a result reasonably mid range mass
levels... giving a middle of the road inertia level I would
suppose. It would be maybe a good idea to try and chart how
an action feels with different combinations of leverage
amounts and mass/inertia amounts. Given three zones for each
that would yeild nine configurations. Should actually be a
doable task eh ?

RicB