sluggish butt questions

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 13:55:20 EDT

Finally I got around to taking the action out of the Stieff upright (1890)
and the first order of business was to figure out why the hammer return is so
sluggish. So I took a hammer out of the action and held the flange, and the
hammer will just stay suspended in the 9 o'clock position.  CLP did not
improve the situation much, so I removed the pin and I could see some
corrosion where the flange bushings were.  I replaced the old pin (size 20
1/2) with a new pin of the same size and voila!  It's exactly the same, no
improvement at all.  I tried a size 20 pin but it is too loose in the hammer
butt.

I know these are pretty basic questions, but I want to do this the right way;
 this is a pretty nice piano and has potential.  So...

Should I ream the bushings?

Is there another (better?) way to shrink the bushings a bit to make this 20
1/2 size pin looser?

Will Goose Juice make a difference where CLP failed?

Is there a size 20 1/4 pin I don't know about?

Tell me I don't need to rebush, please, tell me I don't need to rebush.

This is an area (flanges/bushings) in which I am more ignorant than I'd like
to be, which is why I buy these old pianos and fix'em up.  I am forced to
solve problems with little monetary risk  (this piano cost me $100) and no
client looking over my shoulder.  (Plus, it's alot of fun.)

Any advice is (always) appreciated.

Tom Sivak