Affleck Piano Tuning?(and Yamaha PT100/Verituner)

Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:50:33 +0200

Colin Kenny wrote:

> I'd like to bring some balance to this rant session.  There are
> technicians that can tune well above minimum CTE standards(i.e.%99-%100)
> with an ETD, and can tune unisons aurally at a similar level(i.e.%100), but
> can't tune a temperament aurally that will pass.  I'm one of them.

And you are not alone. Indeed all like you are to be
commended. That does not however change that which others
have tried to address. There are a good deal of folks who
cannot do well without the ETD, and are shaky at best with
them.

And the point remains that if you are unable do a decent ear
tuning then it is questionable at best whether you are able
to judge when the ETD is off on a wild note or not. Tho of
course there are exceptions. But then I also have been
involved in several ETD tuning exams and have seen first
hand the disadvantage that non aural tuners have to deal
with. Many simply do not do well at all.

I tune both ways, and I agree with the origional post on
this thread. Still I am sure we all see that the strictly
ETD tuner is here to stay. I personally believe that there
is plenty of room for those who achieve a decent degree of
compentency and that those who do not will in the end not
succeed in sustaining a profession in piano tuning.

I would also turn the whole argument around and encourage
aural tuners to learn to exploit the ETD for all you can.
You can learn alot, and you can greatly improve your aural
skills as well as your basic understanding of what a tuning
is all about.

> Sincerely,
> Colin Kenny
> Peru, IN