Shellac vs. lacquer

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 07:08:46 -0400

At 9:08 PM -0400 7/14/02, Duplexdan@AOL.COM wrote:
>I'd be very curious to learn what technician recommended shellac on piano
>hammers. I've been in the business for more than a few decades and I've never
>heard of that application.

Check the thread "Hammer hardeners: a poll" of the beginning of this month.

>If , as I suspect, the felt has been hardened substantially,
>pliers and steaming may be remedies.

Oh boy, shellac and water....especially scalding water vapor. That's
an experiment I don't need to make.

>You have in Lebanon N.H. a very fine technician by the name of Danny Dover
>who is the head tech at Dartmouth. You may want to contact him regarding this
>matter.

Dan and I are old friends. Would you like to introduce us because you
know he has specific experience with shellac as a reinforcer?

At 6:54 AM +0200 7/15/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
>Works great, lasts a long
>time, breaks down with time probably more then most lacquers
>will.

You made the comment about the resins "breaking down" earlier, and
now I must pursue it. Are you saying that the resins which have
coated the fibers (sheathing them, actually) eventually crumble under
the constant flexing/squashing of the fibers, leaving the resins
segmented sheathings with their original mass and stiffness, but
their elasticity decimated by segmentation? Inquiring minds have just
awakened and are hungry.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Filing the bridgepins sure puts a sparkle on the restringing, but is
best done before the plate is re-installed"
     ...........recent shop journal entry