DC back cover substitute

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:47:30 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

> From: "John M. Formsma" <jformsma@dixie-net.com>
>
> Do any of you know and/or use a suitable (and cheaper) substitute for the
> Dampp-Chaser back cover for vertical pianos?

I tried a back cover on my own vertical. I was concerned about getting the
humidity readings on my inexpensive humidity gauge to be as stable as
possible. I noticed some changes when wind was blowing through the house.

When I installed the back cover (and yes, it's expensive), I found the
brilliance of the piano to be diminished so I took it right off.

Then I started to think about other ways to stablize the humidity better,
but I eventually gave up. First of all, my gauge has some built-in
uncertainty I had to consider. Second, I realized that when the
temperature changes, the relative humidity necessarily changes, so sealing
the piano up wouldn't change that phenomenon. And third, I was dealing
with large changes in temperature AND humidity in my house (which is
apparently what happens in the winter), even from hour to hour. Now that
it's summer and it's always hot and humid, I find that the D-C doesn't
have to fight such large changes in short periods of time, so things are
more stable. So, considering those points, I'm not sure I was even
experiencing a "problem", other than the environment in my house to begin
with.

And then I also figured that I'm doing quite a bit of practice tuning, so
I tune my piano often. Thus, extra-precise climate control isn't really
necessary.

But maybe I'll take up the issue again in the winter, when the environment
in my house gets all crazy again. I think stablizing temperature would
help stabilize relative humidity, so I'll have to think about ways of
doing that.

To answer your question, someone (I can't remember exactly who right off,
but he can chime in) recommended builder's plastic as an alternative. It
can be found in places like Home Depot. I haven't tried it yet.

Charles Neuman