hammer softener?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:43:15 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/02 5:29:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
ssclabr8@flash.net writes:

> I'm a fairly new technician and I feel my own piano (a Yamaha U1) is a
> little to bright and harsh.  Using a 3-needle voicer with the needles
> extended 1/16", I sugarcoated the strike points in the treble hammers and
> boy, what a huge differnece it made.  No more "ping" and a much softer and
> richer sound.  It only took 5 minutes but the piano now sounds like a new
> instrument.  So, why use softener when a little sugarcoating seems to do the
> trick?  Maybe the softener lasts longer.
>
> Corte Swearingen

Corte

The sugar coating you did is a temporary solution to a deeper problem. All
you did was soften up the surface. But underneath is more hard felt, waiting
to come out when you play. The steaming goes a little deeper, as will the
fabric softener, and the deep needling.

Wim