was sluggish butts/ now verdigris

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 08:56:36 EDT

Various responses to various questions posed by various helpful techs on the
list:

<<  What year was this Steinway manufactured? >>

<<is this a Samick?>>

It's an 1890 Stieff upright.

<<this sounds more like a plating problem than it does verdigris... get a
good magnifying glass and examine a couple of pins and
bushings........besides verdigris is always green. >>

'S not green;  so's not verdigris.  The first ones I pulled looked blackish,
but I just ran downstairs and pulled 3 more, and these actually looks more
like rust.

<<Is the blackish ring dry or gungy ? Dry might point to
graphite, and gungy would point to some combination of some
lubricant, (perhaps of innapropriate type ?) wearoff
(oxidation of sorts ?) from the pin.>>

It is dry, and won't come off with my fingernail.  The felt is somewhat
discolored, too.

<<no permanent solution as far as I know, except replacing all
the parts!

Parts are unique.  Double flanges like Steinway, but unfortunately not
exactly the same.  The flanges have a brass collar around the screw hole.  So
much of this piano looks unique, well-thought-out, and made with quality.
Plus, someone has already put alot of work into this piano in the past, with
new felt in many places, new hammers, (...probably 25 years old by now...)
new keytops.  And the case is beautifully carved and ornate.

I want to restring the bass, replace the damper felts, repair a minor bridge
crack, fix these darn butts and I think I'll have a pretty nice piano.

I guess I'll try both methods, liquid and reaming, on different butts and see
what works.

Thanks to all for the guidance, I'll post results when I get them.

Tom Sivak