Unusual piano and unusual action

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:29:28 +0300

Hello!

I have recently bougth a Schweighofer grand made in Vienna around 1870 (date
is not certain, serial number is 3326). it has parallel strings and some
metal bars and a hitch pin plate, no cast iron plate.
The most unusual thing about this piano is it's action, which is not
Viennese, as I would have expected from a piano made in Vienna long ago. It
has a type of English action with a device that works like the repetition
lever in a modern action.
you can see pictures of it here:
http://calintantareanu.tripod.com/piano/schweighofer/index.htm
Have you seen this kind of action before? What's the name of it?
I would also need some info regarding regulation. Any special procedures?
I would also like to hear more about the history of this piano maker, if
anybody knows.

Many thanks,

Calin Tantareanu
http://calintantareanu.tripod.com