Dear Kevin Ramsey:

Allan L. Gilreath agilreath@mindspring.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:35:11 -0400

Phil,

One thing that I've run into from time to time; if the upstop screw/bolt
on the underlever is not adjusted properly or driven up into a soft
keybed the damper tray is lifted too far, thereby pushing the damper
upstop rail up and bringing your problem back.

I believe this piano happens to have one but there are even some pianos
out there with no limiting screw/bolt.  In many cases the capstan screw
used does not have sufficient diameter and depth of thread to hold in so
soft a material.  Replacing it with a hex head bolt of greater diameter
can then help solve this problem on practice room and Sanctuary pianos.

Sorry I didn't have time to send this in sooner.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Phil Bondi
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 5:15 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Dear Kevin Ramsey:

My Dear Kevin:

This is a world-wide distribution list. It is first come-first serve.
I'm
very sorry that you feel somewhat deprived in not having a chance to win
the
now-famous slightly used felt wedge.

Kevin, I can assure you the sound was not The Big Bang that you alluded
in your post..it sounded like a click. You've been in this business for
couple of days, correct? A click is a click. I know what a click
is..here a
click..there a click..everywhere a click click..

For those of you still reading and interested, this is how I found the
problem:

-The customer played in the offending area..(sounds like the shank is
loose)..

-pull the action - find the screws to be pretty loose..tighten, and
check
the hammerheads also..feeling much better - this 5-minute procedure
should
do it..

-insert action, play hard, it's still there - BRAINSTORM - held up
damper
head on offending note - noise went away....AHAAAAAAAAAA said the
Puzzler..

-the customer is digging the process. He's looking over my shoulder the
whole time asking questions, getting answers, and an education into
piano
technology at the same time.

-.."it must be the underlever screws", says the Puzzler - explained to
the
customer that I had a very similar experience with a brand new S&S B not
more than 3 months ago..

-Screws for the underlevers are tight(darn it)..I manually push up on a
underlever and .. there was the underlever hitting the sos rod - a quick
look at the upstop rail told me it was never set - I set the upstop
rail..put the action back in..play FFF for 15 seconds - the customer has
look of amazement and gratafication on his face.....why?

He has just witnessed the Cause, and Effect, and Solution to

Today's Puzzler!

Kevin, as a consolation to your inability to be at your computer when
Today's Puzzler went out, I will gladly send you the now-famous slightly
used felt wedge. Is your address in the directory current?

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
tito@philbondi.com