Steinway piano for sale/Wim

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:55:52 EDT

> From:    Wimblees@AOL.COM
> Sender:    owner-pianotech@ptg.org
> To:    pianotech@ptg.org
>
> In a message dated 7/16/02 10:14:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
> joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:
>

> >> Hmmm? That's a rather strange Serial Number.("#U3259")
>> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>>
>> Happy Monday!
>>

> I know. I don't know this guy. He got my e'mail from somewhere. I'm sure
> whoever wants to buy it will check the number out, and confirm the '61
> manufacturing date.
>
> Wim

On Steinways, there are always 2 serial numbers.  The long one is its
official serial number which is unique to each piano.  The short one, the one
which has a letter of the alphabet and 4 digits is an in-factory, "work
number" that the piano gets until it is ready to the point where it can be
assigned its official serial number.

Since the work number has only a letter and 4 digits, it is possible for that
same number to be on more than one piano but the official serial number can
only belong to one piano.  Someone will have to find the official serial
number, probably 6 digits and in the 300,000 thousands to look up the date of
manufacturing.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin