Feeling the Hammers/Richard Brekne

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:36:08 -0400

In a message dated Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:30:56 +0200, Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

> Hi Joe
>
> I didnt really think so much about you personally... kinda
> figured you were tonguing the old cheek :)  Still there are
> those who make that point quite seriously and are adamant in
> their stance that the impact cannot be felt at the key
> because of the jack top / knuckle 1 ms decoupling. It is
> just 1 ms according to the Five Lectures by the way.
>
> I think tho before I start making claims to have proven
> anything that a bit more sophisticated examination is in
> order.... still I agrees wis yaz... seems to point in one
> direction dont it?
>
> RicB

Ric, I also believe you can feel the hammer hit the string though perhaps the impact being transfered indirectly down the shank into the hammer rail with balancier spring tension connecting the balancier to the hammer rail and the capstan. Also perhaps very minimally through the hammer rail to brackets to keyframe to key.

More experiments?

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
214-549-3872