DC back cover substitute

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:50:57 -0500

Terry,

Sorry to be long in replying.

> How does a "back side installation" differ from a "normal
> vertical installation"? I should think heat retention is a factor
> in any DC installation, as that is how the dehumidifier works.

The back side installation has all the components on the back side of the
piano in between various posts. It is for pianos that do not have enough
room for installation behind the kneedboard. I've seen these only in
catalogs, so I'm not exactly sure about the configuration, but it comes with
several small dehumidifier rods.

As you say, heat retention is a factor in DC operation--the factor for
dehumidification. What I was wondering is how regular plastic compares to
the stuff DC sells--specifically, is there any need for heat retention for
the back side.

I'm glad that the speaker cloth will be available soon for vertical back
covers. That would be easier to install than what is currently available,
but it would still be cheaper and just as easy to buy a 5x50' roll of
plastic and use it to do many pianos for the price of what one DC cover
costs.

I would like to hear more from Dampp-Chaser about the legality of using only
DC products to cover the back side. If it truly is illegal, then I would not
do it.

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS