Piano Technician Training

Eliot Lee eliotlee1@cox.net
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:28:42 -0700

Hello Doug,

    I ordered the American School of Piano Tuning and it was a joke, but it
was on me, the tools were really sub-standard. No pictures or anything in
the course just typewritten text. The tuning method is really dated, not a
modern temperament with all the aural checks.  After reading each chapter, I
didn't even bother corresponding with them, I used other books.

    My suggestion is that you get all the video tapes of Jim Coleman Sr.
Superior Tapes.  He has a whole series. I think they are $40-50 each. Randy
Potter uses some of Coleman tapes in his course.

    Jim Coleman Sr. is the dean of Piano Tuning at the conventions has been
teaching for over 40 years and in his spare time welcomes the new students.

    You could even schedule an all day seminar with him at his house in
Tempe and you wouldn't be disappointed.  He is on this list so you could
email him privately.

    If you get the book Piano Tuning and Servicing by Art Reblitz, it too is
the bible which any competant tuner should have.

    After you gain some experience your local tuners will take notice of you
and surely help, but if not there are plenty of things you can learn on you
own until you are in a better beginner friendly environment.

    Randy Potter's course is very complete but it might be more than you
want, I have seen it and highly recommend it too.

Eliot Lee