Unusual piano and unusual action

Pianosold@AOL.COM Pianosold@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:27:15 EDT

Hi Calin

Could be wrong, but the piano did'nt look quite as old as you suggest so I
looked up a few details:

(i)    Johann Michael Schweighofer jr. - born Vienna 1806, died Vienna 1852.
Son of Viennese maker Michael.   Travelled as jorneyman to England, France
and Germany after probable apprenticeship with Promberger (his mother's
second husband).
(ii)   Gold medal at Vienna exh. in 1845.
(iii)  Sons carried on the business.  Firm ceased production in 1938.

Clinkscale (my reference) lists 5 extant instruments (pre 1860) in Europe.

Hope this helps.

Rob Thornton