Feeling the Hammers/Richard Brekne

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:39:16 +0200

Kdivad@AOL.COM wrote:

> That sounds like another indication that the energy is being transferred through the line I described, did you disconnect the contact between the balancier and the drop screw when you pushed down on the repetition?
>
> David Koelzer
> Vintage Pianos
> DFW

Yep... and once that "connection" was broken the
signal/sensation in both experiements became much more
difficult to confirm. Which kind of tells me that when the
hammer hits the string, some of that vibration energy is
sent down the shank, through the whippen at the
dropscrew/balancier and directly on through the key to the
finger. Enough that it is able to sense by the finger.

I suppose combined with other factors, especially what we
hear, this has a substantial effect on our perception of the
feel of the instrument. Hence so many many claims that
pianist can somehow feel the voice of the piano at the key.

But like I say. A more sophisticated experiment is needed if
one is to convince any doubters. You ought to try some of
these kinds of things yourself and see what you think.

Cheers!

RicB