Is it just me or ...

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:59:28 -0500

>Real workhorses, overall stability of tuning unquestioned as compared to
>other units of same size, a big, bold sound for the most part, and very
>seldom breaks down.
>
>Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, one of the best values ever made in
>the piano industry. Takes a beating and keeps on playing.
>
>I can only think of one that doesn't cooperate like I'd like, but it's no
>big deal.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Keith McGavern

I conditionally agree. While every single one of them has Permalloy flint
hammers, petrified Corfam and strange sticky black mystery butts in the
older ones and the loose hammerheads and tuning pin/string interference in
the tenor in the newer, these things have proven to be nearly impossible to
kill. They will take more bone headed abuse, under the worst climate and
usage schedule conditions, continue working, and sound more nearly the same
for a greater number of years than anything else I can think of. Wild
strings? Sure, just like about anything else that is subjected to the
environmental torture these pianos are expected to shrug off year after
year without degrading. Put your favorite icon $$$$$$$$ piano in similar
usage situations and compare the performance depreciation rate between the
two. Only once in 25 years or so in this business, have I seen a Hamilton
killed outright by use. A 4' something vocal music teacher pounded her way
through nearly three full sets of bass strings, and wore the entire piano
into utter uselessness in a little over two years. I wouldn't have thought
it possible if I hadn't been the guy putting those strings on and trying to
keep the action working.

So are they an ideal piano? No. Do they sound real sweet and pretty? No,
they're loud enough to hurt. Are they an exemplary performance piano? No.
Are they easy to tune? No, but they aren't difficult either, and stay where
they're put as well as anything else and better than most - much better
than some. Do I recommend them? Yes, for some venues.

Ron N