Is it just me or ...

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:15:01 -0500

>miserable little PSOs.

>When people inquire about buying a used piano, this is one that I regularly
identify as often a poor choice.

>Just calling a spade a spade.

>Terry Farrell

I would like to think that this attitude is just from inexperience, since it
seems like a lot of new tuners seem to get a big kick from voicing their
disdain for pianos they feel are not worthy of their time or expertise. I
don't know how someone can properly service a piano that they have such
contempt for.

The Baldwin Hamilton is a good, sturdy piano that holds up better than most,
especially in a school or church setting. They may not be as easy to tune as
a P-22 because the tone is not as clean. Ironically though, this faint
falseness contributes to a warmth of tone that many Asian pianos do not have
and is the reason many players will choose the Baldwin.

I have many Baldwin Hamiltons on my client list and rank them higher in
quality than the majority of pianos I deal with day to day. As for the
pianos that I feel are of lesser quality, I take it as a challenge to get
the best performance from them as the they are able to give, and I try to
keep in mind that even if I'm not in love with the piano, many times the
owner is. I think it is safe to say that any customer would like their tuner
to approach their piano with that attitude.

Dave Bunch