Two AC items

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:18:26 EDT

In a message dated 7/18/02 6:36:52 AM Central Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com writes:

> Now something I've been thinking about lately.  My wife and I have a
> small room air conditioner in the bedroom and another in the large main
> room area.  I regard room air conditioners as quite noisy and I dislike
> the noise, but it's usually preferable to the heat!  Can that constant
> whoosh be damaging to one hearing?
>
> Regards,
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT

Clyde

>From what I have been led to understand, it is not the how long the sound
goes on, but at what decibel level it is, that hurts the ears. You might want
get a decibel reader somewhere and see how loud that AC is. But even if it
isn't loud enough to cause hearing damage, it might have other effects. There
have been cases where a constant noise made people sick, or at most,
irritable.

Wim