Shellac vs. lacquer

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:19:41 -0700

Susan:

If you are comparing dry time for your own style of application (a few =
drops on the crown), I haven't found that dry times vary that much.  =
Lacquer/acetone will dry in 15 minutes.  Plastic/acetone maybe a little =
faster.  It's only when you soak the hammer that the dry time increases. =
 With lacquer I find that in 2 hours you have 80-90% of what you are =
going to get.

David Love=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: July 18, 2002 7:58 AM
  Subject: Re: Shellac vs. lacquer

  In a message dated 7/17/2002 11:49:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =

    Subj:Re: Shellac vs. lacquer=20
    Date:7/17/2002 11:49:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    From:sckline@attbi.com
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

    .

         Susan
    On a hot day in the shop 80 degrees or more The lacquer solutions =
will dryquickly enough so that that the sound is changed within an hour, =
Except on the largest bass hammers that were really soaked this it takes =
two hrs. Remember It's not cured  so I don't hammer on it but I can play =
it enough to get a semblance of whether I got the solution dilution =
close to my target sound. It changes a bit more overnight and breaks =
down some as the next tuning gets pounded in. If it's still too edgy a =
little acetone on the top will wash it in a bit and won't take long to =
work with. If it's not enough repeat with another light application.
     With any of this , as you know, it takes time to dry and it's nice =
to have the piano in the shop which is not always possible, but I like =
to live with the pianos sound over the course of some days while working =
and refining other things when possible.

    It would be interesting, another time, to compare how long the =
shellac=20
    takes to set up as opposed to the lacquer or acetone/keytop. =
Especially=20
    since keytop's main virtue appears to be its fast drying time.

    (thanks)

    Susan