Unusual piano and unusual action

Brian Trudgeon briant@inet.co.za
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:19:38 +0200

Hello

Let me step out of lurk mode for a moment.

Schweighofer started making pianos in 1792. Not sure when they ended
production but they were still around post 1924.
3326 dates it as 1880 or older

Take care
Brian Trudgeon

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere,
someone
said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on
fire,
but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

-----Original Message-----
From: Calin Tantareanu [mailto:dnu@fx.ro]
Sent: 16 July 2002 03:29
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Unusual piano and unusual action

Hello!

I have recently bougth a Schweighofer grand made in Vienna around 1870 (date
is not certain, serial number is 3326). it has parallel strings and some
metal bars and a hitch pin plate, no cast iron plate.
The most unusual thing about this piano is it's action, which is not
Viennese, as I would have expected from a piano made in Vienna long ago. It
has a type of English action with a device that works like the repetition
lever in a modern action.
you can see pictures of it here:
http://calintantareanu.tripod.com/piano/schweighofer/index.htm
Have you seen this kind of action before? What's the name of it?
I would also need some info regarding regulation. Any special procedures?
I would also like to hear more about the history of this piano maker, if
anybody knows.

Many thanks,

Calin Tantareanu
http://calintantareanu.tripod.com