Untapered Soundboard Ribs

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:23:11 +0930

Hi Dale,

This is another one of those "please explain" threads with no proven =
answers.

Whilst I was in China I went to a City called Yenti ?. there was a piano =
manufacturer there that was making upright pianos based on the Kawai =
piano. Now these pianos had soundboards with tapered ribs but,  the ribs =
ended about 1" before the rim and was terminated by a screw through the =
soundboard, rib and into a holding block of wood.

This meant that the board was fixed at its outer edge only by the board =
itself.

To me this is getting into the radio speaker method with a freer edge to =
allow the board to be more sympathetic to the strings vibrations.

All my work in China was done through interpreters so I may have some =
miss information but I saw the soundboard with my own eyes.

Regards

Tony

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 12:14 AM
  Subject: Re: Untapered Soundboard Ribs

  I believe that"s the concept but in practice how much tapering is up =
for grabs. Remember the George Fredrick Stein grand piano I posted about =
a while back? Same deal as the Mehlin. Zip taper nice sound. Funny you =
should bring this up As I've been thinking about this lately too.
       One thought is I think too much thinning is overrated. Second =
though is that a rib with a cut radius does taper from the middle out =
any way so just feather that off into the notch but not as severe as the =
old style. I,m doing a Baldwin right now that I'm trying this on. On the =
long ribs I think this is not a huge risk but up along the belly rail =
where traditionally the cutouts are mighty severe and intentional leads =
me to believe this is more critical especially as the bridge gets closer =
to the belly rail, know what I mean? It would seem that if the killer =
octave lacks stiffness in that area any way why thin it out? This is my =
question.
      I'd like to hear other opinions as well.

  Tony Caught
  Darwin
  Australia
  caute@optusnet.com.au