Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:40:22 EDT

Del writes:
>Personally, I would like to see our conventions change some and focus more
>directly on those who are a bit more experienced- .

   I agree.

>This is the direction our organization has decided our conventions should
>take and as long as that is the case we're pretty much stuck with the way
>things are.

   I see a circular logic there, and would hope that "we" aren't "stuck"
unless we want to be.  Changes come in pairs, so a task is waiting for those
that want a different style of convention, (see below)

>There is a strong motivation for leaving things relatively
>alone--the status quo does work for quite a few people.

Ain't that the truth!  However, improvement requires change, so the status
quo is actually regressive, and that is something that is worth looking at.

> Changes are always uncertain.

  yes, thank goodness.

>And we know from experience that there will be enough folks
>willing to devote substantial portions of their time and energy throughout
>the year to provide a reasonably high level of technical content even if
>they are not compensated appropriately.

  Agreed, but with a question.  Are the conventions as valuable as possible?
I personally know of two instructors that presented work-changing classes
(for me), that no longer teach because of the cost.  There are probably
others, as well.  What quality are we missing because of this?
    There are also more than a few teachers at the convention that teach how
to use their products, which is well and good, since they can profit in more
ways than Guild compensation.  However,  what about those instructors who can
bring knowledge that is of great benifit to the members but have nothing to
sell?
    Without some tangible suggestions, not much will happen, so here is mine:
 Since it is impossible to teach a topic at a level the beginner will grasp
without boring the experienced veteran, there should be some classes
restricted to "RPT-only".   This will allow an instructor to target their
audience.  I think a higher quality of presentation could be had .  It will
also provide some impetus to the associates to upgrade their status.
Possibly there could be associate versions of these same classes, taught by
the same instructor but aimed at the tech with less background.
      I know that there are ratings in place to describe the classes, but
that doesn't stop the newbie from asking elementary questions in what is
supposed to be an advanced class, thus dragging the whole room backwards.  A
class that is more equal ,(what a political word for me to use...) allows the
instructor to go deeper into the specific area, without needing to give all
that background.  A class on voicing the hammer that I attended several years
ago comes to mind. This was a 90 minute class.  The first 50 minutes of the
period was spent on filing hammers and leveling strings!!!  The next 30
minutes was spent on the regulation required,  then there was 10 minutes
spent on altering the hammer to alter the tone.  Beginners grasped the first
half while the veterans slept, then they were lost in the last half while the
veterans debated the various ways to regulate. <sigh>

     Maybe it could be that we would allow the associates to "audit" the
course, but only the RPT's could take part in the discussion in these
restricted classes.  Yes, it will mean denying somebody's wishes, but without
some kind of discipline, there is no way to focus the class.
    Teaching is a specific skill in its own right,  just because someone has
done a beautiful job of rebuilding for 40 years doesn't mean that they can
transfer that knowledge to another, and having classes of mixed abilities
just makes the job that much harder.  I think it would be easier to organize
the classes than it would be to train technicians to be teachers.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
(no, I got no flame suit,  I just sit there and smoke).