Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 20:44:23 EDT

.  Ed writes>
>   Agreed, but with a question.  Are the conventions as valuable as
> possible?
> I personally know of two instructors that presented work-changing classes
> (for me), that no longer teach because of the cost.  There are probably
> others, as well.  What quality are we missing because of this?

.>>>>>>>>>>Dittos Ed. I've said no on several occasions because of the cost
issue both time of prep and travel and actual expense. For me it came down to
teaching a class or a desperately needed vacation.

>     There are also more than a few teachers at the convention that teach how
>
> to use their products, which is well and good, since they can profit in
> more
> ways than Guild compensation.  However,  what about those instructors who
> can
> bring knowledge that is of great benifit to the members but have nothing to
>
> sell?

classes and what a plus for ptg as they don't pay sponsored teachers a dime
however the  down side is that frankly conventions become more than a little
repititous. If the organization wants to court new talent there has to be
incentive because the ego trip of teaching wears off after a while even if it
is an honor to be asked.
    Just my opinion>>>>>>>>>>Dale Erwin