Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:24:37 -0400

In a message dated Fri, 19 Jul 2002 1:40:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, A440A@AOL.COM writes:

Since it is impossible to teach a topic at a level the beginner will grasp
> without boring the experienced veteran, there should be some classes
> restricted to "RPT-only".   This will allow an instructor to target their
> audience.  I think a higher quality of presentation could be had .  It will
> also provide some impetus to the associates to upgrade their status.
> Possibly there could be associate versions of these same classes, taught by
> the same instructor but aimed at the tech with less background.
>      I know that there are ratings in place to describe the classes, but
> that doesn't stop the newbie from asking elementary questions in what is
> supposed to be an advanced class, thus dragging the whole room backwards.  A
> class that is more equal ,(what a political word for me to use...) allows the
> instructor to go deeper into the specific area, without needing to give all
> that background.  A class on voicing the hammer that I attended several years
> ago comes to mind. This was a 90 minute class.  The first 50 minutes of the
> period was spent on filing hammers and leveling strings!!!  The next 30
> minutes was spent on the regulation required,  then there was 10 minutes
> spent on altering the hammer to alter the tone.  Beginners grasped the first
> half while the veterans slept, then they were lost in the last half while the
> veterans debated the various ways to regulate. <sigh>
>
>     Maybe it could be that we would allow the associates to "audit" the
> course, but only the RPT's could take part in the discussion in these
> restricted classes.  Yes, it will mean denying somebody's wishes, but without
> some kind of discipline, there is no way to focus the class.
Regards,
> Ed Foote RPT
> (no, I got no flame suit,  I just sit there and smoke).

Ed, ouch ouch ouch!!  I know many an "Associate" with years of high quality rebuilding experience. These "Associates" have the ability to comprehend the "higher knowledge classes" you are qualifying only RPT.  I have taught many a class (and I would say not very complicated classes) the elementary questions were asked by both "Associates" and "RPTs."  In my view the only dumb question is one not asked.
By the way I am an "Associate", how are you going to qualify the classes I teach??  I will tell you straight out that my classes are not advanced but what if they were?  How would you reconcile an "Associate" who teaches an advanced class?  Would you ban "Associates" attending?  Oh yes, and about providing an impetus for upgrading,,, oh well never mind, I'm just wasting my time.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW