PTG conventions

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 05:42:45 -0500 (CDT)

Del wrote:
>Personally, I would like to see our conventions change some and
>focus more directly on those who are a bit more experienced--but I
>could be wrong. This is the direction our organization has decided
>our conventions should take and as long as that is the case we're
>pretty much stuck with the way things are.<

He had very good thoughts about the conventions, and the minor
quibble I have with the first sentence above is just that, minor.
But I use it for the opportunity it provides to chime in about the
importance of the conventions.
I think he's bang on about the reasons for the conventions being
oriented to education. I think the balance is just right myself. We
have to keep educating those coming in. If we turn off beginners, we
turn off the growth of the profession. I have constantly heard from
seasoned RPTs and relentless convention goers that "no matter how
often I go, I always learn something new."
Beyond the classes, for which I (only 4 years in the profession) am
eternally grateful, there is the oppportunity to meet and talk with
other folks in between the classes and at meals. Because ours is an
isolated profession, we need all the oppportunities we can get to
meet our colleagues.
And, it's not just the national that is important, the regionals are
there for those of us who can't always make it to the nationals. In
my four years I've only been to Providence and Arlington. But I was
very lucky in that the year I started, the national was in
Providence and I was able to drive. I was completely blown away.
Though I was exhausted each evening when I got back to my room, I
still wished that there was a piano in my room so I could go through
what I'd learned that day.
But the next year I went to our regional in Quebec and was again hit
with information overload and wanted a piano in my room. Supporting
your regional by attending is a good way to support the PTG on a
local level. The more people who come, the more the chapters are
encouraged to do the massive work involved. The work is the same
whether 100 people or 200 come to the regional.
In short, I know of no other organization which has a convention so
valuable for its attendees. I've been to conventions in the areas of
Mediaeval History and Literature, Computer Science, Technical
Writing, and Graphic Arts. None of them have provided the kind of
information that the PTG conventions do. Most were heavy on
socializing and partying. I prefer to do that stuff, if at all, at
home and with my friends--it's cheaper :)
There is an energy in the PTG which comes out at these times that
makes you feel good about what you do, that makes you want to do
more, to learn more, to just "be better" at what you do. It truly is
a wonderful opportunity.
Though I couldn't make it to Reno or Chicago because of money, nor
will I be able to go to Dallas, my hope is that I can make it to
Nashville and then every other year after that.
I thank the PTG Institute for its work, and those in the home office
for taking care of us so well.
Cheers,
Clair

--