small claims court

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 06:48:31 -0500

Thanks to all who responded. Each was very helpful. I didn't know that even
with a judgment against the defendant, the plaintiff was still not
immediately awarded the money and sometimes had to collect for himself.

I had already sent two certified letters--one of which was a letter
threatening small claims court. So that doesn't scare them into payment.

Incidentally, the money is owed by a Pentecostal church--for string
splicing/replacement, and a pitch raise/tuning. What I had thought seriously
of doing (since there is only unpaid time involved with court) is to return
to the church, remove the replaced strings and splices, carefully (ha!)
lower the pitch 10¢ and leave.  I doubt I'll do this either since it just
involves more work for nothing. So, I'll probably just let it go and learn
from it, although I might try Alan Barnard's good suggestion of beating them
with loving lashes. ;-) At least there is a better chance of getting paid
that way than if I return to the church. I'll let you know if it works.

Again, thanks to all.

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS