Chickering serial number

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 07:39:15 -0700

On the really old Chickerings the serial is part of the soundboard decal in
the center of the soundboard.  On the later ones they were found on the
treble side of the strut between tenor and bass sections.  Has the plate
been painted?

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com
St. Louis
----------Origianl message------------------------

From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Alan R. Barnard
  Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 10:17 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Chickering Grand

  Client has a nice Chickering Grand I'm guessing was made in the 20's based
on appearance. Original ivory and, unfortunately, original pin block..

  Searched high and low for a serial number. All I found was a
rubber-stamped or paint-stenciled 4-digit number under the key bed.
According to the Piano Atlas and the Chickering (Baldwin) web site, the last
4 digit numbers were assigned in the 1880's. No way the piano is that old.

  Any ideas or experience finding numbers on old Chicks? (No sick jokes,
please, only healthy ones)

  Alan Barnard