Overnight Bridge Repair

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:46:29 -0400

Dear List,

I've got a big piano (no, another one) with very wobbly notes on
either side of the mid-treble break. Wobbly in sound and in pitch
stability. The common description would be false beats, but also low
sustain. The whole board is great, and I'm confident that that if
both terminations are solid, that region will be too.

If the worse case scenario happened, and the bridge pins needed to be
reinforced with epoxy, could the entire repair be done in 24 hours? I
don't think so. Count the steps: slack and clear strings away, pull
old bridge pines, test new pin size, size hole with epoxy, drive and
finish pins pins, cure resin, restring through stable. I don't think
so.

I already have a long list of things that I've checked. But others
might like the list.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"If ducks were smart enough and well-built enough, they'd be shooting
at us. It's not my fault they can't aim and shoot."
     ...........Talk Show host Rush Lamebaugh, explaining why duck
hunting is a sport, 1/12/98