Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:47:29 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> Did I say I thought this was the opinion of the Institute Committee? No?
> Well, I didn't think so.

Delwin Wrote on july 19th

"And, for the most part I am only taking issue with the way
all of the
various volunteers--including, but not limited to,
instructors and
authors--are treated by PTG. It borders on contempt."

Seems pretty clear to me.

> But, they are all working under the authority of the board and the board
> is -- supposedly -- working under the authority of the membership. That's
> folks like you. And I'll let your attitude speak for itself.
>
> Del

My attitude is reflected in my words and frankly I am very
happy with it. I believe that the Conventions should be as
inclusive as possible, and that those of us who have been
lucky enough to learn something worth teaching others should
do so without reserve.

You said...and I quote so as to not be accussed of twisting
anyones words.

"We are going to give our instructors the honor of sharing
their hard-earned knowledge with us so that we can better
compete against them in the free and open marketplace."...

and you go on to sharpen the point with

"So, in addition to equipping the rest of us better
compete against them, they are now expected to take even
more time away from
family and friends and work even harder to pay for the
privilage. While
we're all off enjoying the fruits of their knowledge and
labor."

I say again this is an attitude of protectionism. Given the
state of affairs in the piano tech world I can hardly think
there exists the slightest grounds for such fears. Just how
many people have you trained/taught/whatever in your 30 some
odd years directly compete with you today ? How much
buisness have you lost as a result ?

Actually the reverse is more likely the truth. Everyone
gains when the general level of competancy is increased.
Giving of what one knows "freely" is in reality one of the
best investments in ones own future one can make. Not to
mention the rich amount of knowledge one self gains in the
process. THAT,,, is my attitude.

Perhaps I misunderstood your posting Del... and if so then
appologies are in order. But such talk of warm fuzzies,
contempt, and lopsided thinking put in the context of your
two paragraphs seemed clear enough.

RicB