no comp. was Re: Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:16:43 EDT

Wim writes:

> Instructors teach at the most two classes. That's two periods out of a
>  possible 20. That 10%. ....Why should instructors get free registration,
plus a >stipend of some sorts,

Because the attendees are getting the benefit of MUCH more than 1.5 hours
(*2) of the instructor's time. The instructor doesn't just walk in and start
talking. Even after teaching at many conventions, I still spend NUMEROUS
hours revising the material to make it as clear and efficient as possible,
and I can't count the hours before the first one I taught at. Knowing the
subject is one thing, but preparing it to be useful to 100 people, with
differing levels of experience and different learning styles, is quite
another.

Also, while others were at receptions, I was preparing a piano for a class,
or breaking it down to be used by someone else. I left the banquet early for
the same reason.

So why would I subject myself to this?
1. I learn more than they do. The discipline of preparation has forced me to
think about subjects I'm interested in, more deeply than I might have.
2. I think I have something to say that might help someone, and it is SMALL
payback for the VAST quantities of information I have received from others
who felt the same way. I am SO greatful that they were willing to share.
3. The system works. I think we all benefit from the free exchange of
information. My competitors have gained, but so have I, in direct proportion
to the amount of energy I have put into learning and teaching. When
everybody's doing better work, the respect that our clients have for the
craft increases, raising our standing, financial and otherwise.
4. Nobody knows everything. I would rather spend a lot of energy on a topic
that excites me, and go to a convention where I can meet someone else with a
different focus, with whom I can trade the fruits of deeper research.
5. I enjoy teaching willing and committed students. It's just plain fun.
6. Anyone who doesn't admit to a LITTLE ego boost isn't very honest.

On the other hand, from a purely hard-nosed point of view, why should
conventions pay instructors more than they have to? Does the word "should"
need to enter into the equation? The attendees obviously benefit from the
generosity of the instructors, but believe me, the instructors benefit or we
wouldn't have any. As long as we have a good balance of
manufacturers/independent trechnicians as instructors....

Bob Davis