Overnight Bridge Repair

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 17:09:28 -0600

Hi Carl,
Thanks for reminding me why the piano needs to be at pitch.
If you apply CA to a flat piano, when you bring the string back up to pitch,
there can be little specks of CA that will move with the string causing loss
of tone and other gremlins
to pop up. Please don't ask me.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Meyer" <cmpiano@attbi.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2002 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: Overnight Bridge Repair

> Bill, I second the suggestions of Joe.  I will make a couple of
suggestions.

> Warm the bridge and pins with a hair dryer to enhance the wicking of the
ca glue.  Keep a few cotton swabs handy to suck up any excess if you get
clumsy.  Don't worry about gluing the string to the pin.  Here's one time
I'd let the tension down a little before bringing it up.  The string and the
pin are much stronger than the glue so how could that break anything?

> Ca glue sets up fast and very hard.  That's a plus for you.  I just
yesterday got a bridge ready for restringing.  I warmed the bridge, applied
thin epoxy and continued the hair dryer to allow the epoxy to penetrate and
then used a bristle brush to spread the epoxy over the bridge and the
notches and kept brushing till there was no more to clean up.  I now have
the pins solidified,  the bridge coated, and the piano ready to string.  I
used thin epoxy that has a slow cure rate (liquid wood)  I was concerned
that the left over was not as hard as I thought it should be but I guess it
takes several days for epoxy to reach full cure.  There are so many
variables with epoxy.