pianotech-digest V2002 #1169

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:31:19 -0400

    Mickey:
    Your suggestions about aiming convention classes to associates is a =
good one.  I wonder if local chapters could also help along those lines. =
 Our Syracuse chapter and many others have an "associates day" when we =
have rotating groups learn about tuning, repair and regulation so as to =
give more individualized instruction.  The groups are small, it involves =
all the members and everyone benefits. =20
    Mike Kurta, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mickey Kessler=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2002 9:24 PM
  Subject: Re: pianotech-digest V2002 #1169

  At 01:54 PM 7/21/2002 -0600, you wrote:

    Associate and RPT are NOT the same status and they don't create the =
same=20
    impression in this trade.  I know this because I have been both.  If =
you get=20
    the chops up and submit yourself to the testing required to become =
RPT's, you=20
    will find out the same thing.
    Regards,=20
    Ed Foote RPT =20

  Just thought I'd add my two cents worth to this thread. =20

  Rather than get into the tussle of Associate vs. RPT-only classes (I'm =
an Associate member who'd rate himself at apprentice level), I'd like to =
make a suggestion.

  Maybe at future regionals and nationals, there could be a series of =
classes specifically designed to help train Associates to pass the RPT =
exams.  Hands-on tuning, hands-on regulating, and hands-on basic repair =
classes, focused directly on the skills needed to pass the exams, would =
undoubtedly up the number of RPTs dramatically.=20

  I've only been to one convention (San Diego last February) and I was =
overwhelmed with the amount of great material and support I found there. =
 I had a wonderful time.  But  seminars where experienced tuners could =
work with those of us who are less experienced, with the specific aim of =
bringing us up to speed for the exams, would have been terrific (well, =
for me, anyway).  And classes on the basics of regulation as required =
for the exam, as well as basic repairs, would certainly help a lot of =
people.  Moreover, the skills required to pass the RPT exams are in fact =
the basic skills any piano technician should possess, so such a =
consistent series of such classes could not help but advance the trade.

  San Diego had great seminars on many subjects (and so did Chicago, =
judging by the agendas I was sent).  But a series designed specifically =
for those who, like me, seriously aspire to RPT status would increase =
the number of well-trained and capable technicians in the field, and =
ultimately, the total number of RPTs.

  Tossing modesty to the wind for a moment, let me just add that I have =
experience in Industrial Training design and am currently a college =
professor, so if there's any interest in my suggestion, and if I can be =
of any help, I would be more than happy to help put together such a =
curriculum.

  Just my two pennies.=20

  Mark (Mickey) Kessler