Repetition Spring Adjustment

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:37:28 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/02 12:11:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
pcpoulso@pacbell.net writes:

> Hello all: I have the action from a 1927 Story and Clark grand in the shop,
> with peculiar repetition springs.  They loop up out of the jack window,
> curve backwards, and hook onto a string loop that comes out of the top of
> the wippen.  Has anyone worked on such an animal before, and if so, is there
> a way to adjust the spring tension short of disengaging it from the loop,
> bending it, and then replacing it? I am leery about doing it that way,
> because the loops are cotton and some of them have snapped already. I fear
> that I may have to just break down and replace them all.  Help Mister
> Wizard!
> Patrick Poulson, RPT

Patrick

There might not be an easier way to do this, but I would suggest you tug hard
on all those cotton strings, and make sure they don't break. Whenever I have
an action in the shop with cotton strings in the wippens, I give them all a
hard tug. I want them to break in the shop, where I can repair then on my
bench, with plenty of light, tools, equipment, etc., instead of getting call
a couple of weeks or months later with a complaint that a key doesn't work,
and having to replace the string in the customer's home.

Wim