Shellac vs. lacquer

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:10:05 -0700

Bill Ballard wrote:

><snip> The 6th and 7th octaves just sparkle. The bass can easily go up a
>notch in forcefulness, if needed. For tonight's concert, I sat at the back
>of the 400-seat closed concert shed, and even with the piano pushed back
>in from the proscenium, and at half stick for this Dvorak piano quintet,
>even at this suppressed volume, the sounds were very clear. Sustained and
>projected.

Hey! You have a good time! <glad>

>>Can you describe the solution you used? What dilution, which
>>alcohol? Or premixed? Did you find that the color was a problem? What
>>impressions did you have as you >applied it? Did you do any wet-voicing
>>with it?
>
>3# clear shellac from the local hardware store (date of manuf: 10/4/01)
>which I cut back to 1#, for caution's sake using the instructions on the
>can. Denatured alcohol the next shelf down from the shellac. Methyl,
>Ethyl, I can tell'em apart, they've got the same freckles and buckteeth.
>Color was not a problem. (BTW, that's one of the reasons I went down to
>1#: nice white Steinway hammerfelt should have big butterscotch stains on it.)

Yes, I doubt that the lovely garnet shellac would be quite the thing ...
I've used ultrablonde, but I thought I might try some of the bleached
flakes as well.

>As for the shellac's ability to penetrate the felt mass, as mixed, it had
>(SWAG) 25% of the viscosity of plastic/acetone, but it flowed right into
>the shoulders even with a pre-existing plastic content.

Interesting question, how it gets past the plastic, since I don't think
that pyralin will dissolve in alcohol (will it?) There seems to be more to
penetration than just the viscosity number.

>Wet-voicing? Do I eat my brownies after only 11 minutes of baking time?
>Does the bear sit down in the woods? No, I regulated or tuned. (I
>especially wouldn't want to hit a wound string with a hammer still wet
>with shellac.)

point well-taken ...

drying time:
>I did put a drop of plastic/acetone and the 1# shellac on a piece of
>mirror. The plastic was solid nearly instantaneously, the shellac was
>still gummy after a minute. But if we're going to experiment, let's be
>rigorous about it. First, observe and time the evaporation of the
>solvents, equal volumes of each. Then, before observing the hardening of
>the resins, make sure that you samples have the same % of solids. One
>might assume that viscosity and solid content might be directly related.
>Maybe not though, in which case rigorousness of the experiment just got
>more complicated.

IMHO, you can't be rigorous about shellac vs. acetone drying time unless
you figure out the age of the shellac and the water content of both the
shellac and the alcohol. Methyl and ethyl may have some different
properties as well (aside from toxicity) but I don't know what they are.
Unless you work out how much water is in there, I don't see how you could
test for methyl versus ethyl as a carrier. If you want to follow up on your
experiences, Bill, I think you might try going to that shellac website:

http://www.woodfinishingsupplies.com/Shellac.asp

and getting some of their super-dry alcohol. It has even less water than
the liquor store 190 proof.

It seems to me that shellac freshly made from flakes with the really
water-free alcohol may well  behave in a hammer in a quite different way
than pre-mixed shellac from a hardware store, cut with the denatured (which
is now only 4% methanol, I believe, but has quite a lot of water in it.)
Whether it works better or worse or just different we won't know until a
few people have tried it. It may be that the water in the mix affects the
wool in a gentling sort of manner. It may be that the slower drying time
might change the voicing characteristics as well. Mr. Dunlap kindly wrote
us about how drying alcohol attracts moisture from the air which affects
felt. I'm quoting his post below, since I found it very interesting. Has
anyone worked out whether acetone does the same thing?

Lots to find out. Thanks for sharing your initial observations. Do let us
know how that piano behaves down the road. I have no idea what was
happening with those "hissers" you found in the third visit, but I'm not
sure that cure time can be ruled out. If you let shellac get old enough and
wet enough, it never does harden up.

Susan