Respect for PT's

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:20:39 -0400

Ain't it a shame ... and I often wonder.

Some thoughts.  How much are we considered as merely "a variation on the =
theme of a stage hand" ?  The sound engineer, lighting director, and =
stage manager all get credits, but their crew members are rarely listed.

In how many instances are the liner notes, program notes, or other =
published verbal materials already at the printshop by the time the =
piano tuner is hired for the job?  I don't know how it is in other =
cities, but here in Detroit, the performance venues have a habit of =
waiting to nearly the last minute to get hold of a piano, then finding a =
technician depending on which dealer the piano was rented from.

Here's another thought ... how much could the credits given be a =
reflection of what matters most to the performer?  All too often, the =
piano technician is the "value-hidden extra" who works the magic while =
the others are away.  I personally like to meet the performers and find =
out what matters most to them when it comes to the piano, but there are =
some performers out there who prefer to remain "unavailable" until after =
the job deadline.  That same performer may have much more interaction =
with the sound engineer, and all those other people whose names appear =
on the published output than they do with the piano technician.

Well yes, I too got to see my name in bold print recently ... across the =
TV screen for work I did for a live broadcast.  The woman in charge of =
the credits was very busy collecting all of the information she could =
about everybody who had stepped into the studio that day.  She certainly =
made up for the apparent lack of interest the performer had in everybody =
else except himself and his immediate entourage.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20