Respect for PT's

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:09:50 +0200

I was tuning at a studio tonight and had half a dozen "action shots" taken
of me as I tuned. Should have had that haircut when I thought about it.

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "PTG" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 1:14 AM
Subject: Respect for PT's

List.

Seems appropriate in the light of some present and recent
discussions to bring this point up at the moment, so if you
will allow;

It never ceases to amaze me how ignored we are otherwise in
the industry. On stage productions, in films, on recordings,
virtually everywhere there is piano music there must be a
piano tuner who in no small way contributes quite directly
to the quality of the music. Heck, on records they even give
credit to who took the blinging picture of the artist, but
almost never is there mention of the instrument or who
prepared it.

The more I learn about tuning, and the more I explore in
what ways we are directly involved in the creativity that
ends up coming out of the instrument, the more aghast I am
that we as a profession have allowed (walked straight into
??) this state of affairs to evolve. The more I learn about
the instruments themselves the less I understand why they
are equally ignored thus.

A nice exception to the rule is a Classical album given out
by Maria Joao Pires who records Beethoven's Piano Sonatas
13, 14 and 30. In the very short list of credits on the
inside cover is the name of the Piano Technician.. one
Kazato Osato, and the piano used.. a Yamaha CF III S. It was
refreshing to see.

Cheers

RicB