Boston Hammers, was: Interesting Piano Belly - Mehlin Grand

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:18:27 -0500

>While I think that the soundboard assembly contributes to differences
>between pianos, I think the issue of so many varied and seemingly
>contradictory hammer techniques lies more in the differences between hammer
>sets (of the same manufacturer) and differences in individual technicians'
>conceptions and tastes in tone.

Absolutely, individual tastes and material differences from box to box are
certainly a large part of it. However, it is the soundboard assembly,
scaling, etc, that determine the potential that the voicer has to work
with, with any given hammer set. And while I'm often amazed (sometimes
impressed, sometimes disappointed) at either the voicing time and effort
spent, the results obtained, or both, I'm still quite convinced that the
soundboard assembly is a major player here.

Ron N