Boston Hammers, was: Interesting Piano Belly - Mehlin Grand

Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:37:01 -0700

I don't disagree with you.  The potential in any piano is limited by the
soundboard assembly.  My only point was that hammers of a particular
manufacturer will be treated the same way between pianos 99% of the time.
Never say never, but I've never had to lacquer a set of Renners (bottom 5 or
top 5 notes excepted) or needle the shoulders in a Steinway hammer to get
more resilience because of a particular soundboard assembly.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 24, 2002 10:18 AM
Subject: Re: Boston Hammers, was: Interesting Piano Belly - Mehlin Grand

Absolutely, individual tastes and material differences from box to box are
certainly a large part of it. However, it is the soundboard assembly,
scaling, etc, that determine the potential that the voicer has to work
with, with any given hammer set. And while I'm often amazed (sometimes
impressed, sometimes disappointed) at either the voicing time and effort
spent, the results obtained, or both, I'm still quite convinced that the
soundboard assembly is a major player here.

Ron N