Boston Hammers, was: Interesting Piano Belly - Mehlin Grand

Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:29:29 -0700

Ed:

I don't know if you followed the whole thread, but my comments were in
response to the observation that suggestions about the handling of hammers
were sometimes contradictory and that differences in piano soundboard
assemblies might account for that.  My point was that certain hammers
require a certain type of treatment no matter what piano they are in.  Just
as you wouldn't lacquer a Renner hammer to compensate for some soundboard
anomaly, neither would you hope to improve the tone of a Steinway hammer by
needling the shoulders in some other type of setup.  A Steinway hammer by
design will always need to be made denser (or stiffer if you prefer).  A
Renner hammer will always need to be made more resilient.

By the way, Steinway shoulders do not need to be completely solidified with
hardener, nor do I think they should be.  In fact, if you keep the hardener
off the shoulder and put it under the crown at the core of the hammer where
it is needed, then as the hammer wears you are less likely to get the noise
that comes from the strike point expanding into the rock hard shoulder.  Of
course, a periodic filing doesn't hurt either.

David Love